Home > Science Fair Projects > How to Make a Salt Crystal Garden
How to Make a Salt Crystal Garden
This colorful crystal garden would be perfect as a science fair project for kids. The simple experiment is based on the principle of growing salt crystals. Read on to know more.
Growing a Salt Crystal Garden
Given below are the basic instructions for the project. You can apply this method for Epsom and sugar crystal gardens as well.
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups salt
- Laundry Bluing
- Pieces of cut up sponge or charcoal briquettes
- Food color
- Plastic container
- Put 2 tablespoons of salt in the water. Stir well. Continue adding the salt until the particles do not dissolve anymore and pop out of the solution.
- You can add laundry bluing and clear household ammonia to assist in the crystallization and accelerate the enlargement, respectively.
- Pour the solution over charcoal briquettes or cut up sponge pieces resting at the bottom of a container. The sponges should be saturated by the liquid but not submerged in it.
- If you want different colors of crystals in your garden, add your choice of food color to each sponge.
- Put in a few drops of vinegar and stir well.
- Watch your garden develop overnight.
Video of Magic Salt Crystal Garden Science Project
Now that you know the nitty gritties of this fun activity, start collecting the supplies for embarking on the fulfilling educative journey.
Published on November 30th 2015 by Papiya Dutta under Science Fair Projects. Article was last reviewed on 1st December 2015.